Crossfit SW Portland Box Talk November 2015 [by Sam Wiley]
Winter Schedule and Updates
6:30am Tuesday & Thursday with Coach Brian
9am MOVES to 11am Monday/Wednesday/Friday for the winter
November: No Oly on Sunday. Only Wednesday at 6:30pm
*Everyday Warrior workouts will be held Sunday at 3:00pm
*Register online to participate:
*This is a four week online competition benefitting crossfitters fighting cancer. T-shirt included.
World’s Best Bootcamp is Tuesday/Thursday 7:00pm and Sat 10am. 6 Week commitment.
Crossfit 101 Tues/Thurs 6:00pm and Sunday 2:00pm
Thanksgiving WOD November 26th at 10am
Only 1 class on Thanksgiving, bring friends and family, get a great workout before you feast.
11/27 Day after thanksgiving classes at 4:30 & 5:30 ONLY
11/5-11/9 Crossfits first online weight lifting competition. Find your 1 rep max snatch, clean and jerk and complete a workout. See where you compare to others in your weight class. $10. Begins 5pm Thursday. Post scores online by 5pm Monday Nov. 9th See Steve for more info. Register online: https://games.crossfit.com/liftoff/
It is possible to eat healthy on Thanksgiving! It just takes a little planning. Here is a paleo menu and websites to visit for awesome recipes!
Turkey: Duh! Remember to defrost the bird 3-4 days before. Nom Nom Paleo has a recipe for Butterflied Big Bird. Crispy skin and tender meat, she also includes a dry brine in the receipt. Nomnompaleo.com
Alternative to Turkey: Roast Pork Loin, Roast Beef, Prime Rib, Duck….
Vegan Recipes: http://www.foodandwine.com/ultimate-thanksgiving/vegan-thanksgiving Vegetarian/Vegan: http://www.vegkitchen.com/tips/vegetarian-thanksgiving/
Here are some sites to visit: http://paleomagazine.com/paleo-thanksgiving-recipes
Mashed Cauliflower, your guests will never know they aren’t spuds! Steam a head of cauliflower; toss it in a blender or food processor with some garlic, grassfed butter, salt and pepper!
Cran-Cherry Sauce-Put it on everything! Yum!
6 ounces frozen cranberries, 6 ounces frozen sweet cherries, ¾ cup apple juice (I like Martinelli’s brand)
½ teaspoon minced ginger,Pinch of salt,1 to 2 tablespoons honey (optional). Bring to a boil, then simmer 8-10 mins to thicken. Cool. Make up to 5 days ahead of time. I’ve also used cran + blueberry and cran + orange.
Don’t forget paleo pumpkin pie! There are many out there, use one of these sites to find the perfect pumpkin pie! http://elanaspantry.com/paleo-pumpkin-pie/.
See next page for Sam’s recipe pick, she made this last year for Thanksgiving and it was a hit!
Intern Sam made this last thanksgiving and it was a hit!! Give it a try!
Recipe by Juli bauer or Paleomg.com
Prep time 15 mins
Cook time 1 hour
Total time 1 hour 15 mins
Brownie Pumpkin Pie Serves: 8-10
For the eggnog pumpkin pie filling
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree
- 1 cup coconut or almond milk eggnog* (or paleo egg nog by health-bent)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- pinch of salt
For the brownies
- 15 dried medjool dates, pitted
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil or butter or ghee
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
Coconut milk ice cream, to garnish (I used a maple pecan coconut milk ice cream)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a pie plate with butter, ghee or coconut oil.
- Place all ingredients for pumpkin pie filling in a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into a separate bowl and set aside. Use a paper towel to wipe out inside of food processor (doesn’t have to be super clean).
- Now add dates to the food processor and begin to pulse until a clumpy paste forms.
- Add coconut oil and cocoa powder to the food processor and puree until well mixed and it has become smoother.
- Then add eggs, coconut flour, honey, vanilla, baking soda and powder, and salt and puree until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Scoop out brownie mixture and place half of the mixture on the bottom of the greased pie pan and spread/smooth out to the sides.
- Pour pumpkin pie mixture on top.
- Lastly, add the rest of the brownie mixture using a spoon. Plop spoonfuls around the pumpkin pie then use a knife to swirl around the mixture. It is sticky so it won’t swirl much.
- Place pie dish on a baking sheet and into the oven to bake for 1 hour.
- Let rest for 30 minutes then place in refrigerator to cool for 2+ hours be serving.
- Serve with ice cream of choice. I used a maple pecan coconut milk ice cream and it was perfect!
Athlete of the Month Goes to:
When did you start doing CrossFit? What motivated you to start CrossFit? How did you hear about CF?
My first exposure to CrossFit was watching extreme lifting videos on YouTube and from there I only heard about the “cult” mentality of crossfitters. The idea of lifting heavy for workouts was never appealing to me until I realized my cardio heavy workout regimen would not give me the strength and physique I desired. Therefore, in June 2015 I took CrossFit class and haven’t looked back.
Snatch. The technical challenge can drive me mad, which keeps me coming back for more.
Least Favorite WOD/lift?
Tell us a little bit about yourself (family, job, sports, military, interests, etc.).
I’m the middle child and a little type A.
What were you doing before CrossFit?
My previous fitness regimen consisted of a lot of uphill running and spinning. Also, when I would feel especially strong, I would do a “beginners” Pilates YouTube video that burns so bad it would induce temporary paralysis.
What were your thoughts after your first CrossFit workout?
Besides thinking that the lighter bar should not be called a “girl bar”, I instantly loved CrossFit and thought it was a shame people in general associate it with improper lifting and bulky women.
What were your goals when joining CrossFit? Have you achieved any of those goals? Current goals?
My first Goal was to do one strict pullup by December 2015, which was achieved at the start of August. My other start goal was a walking handstand and that is still a work in progress. Other than those two, I’m working on strengthening my back so I can deadlift more than my squat weight.
Has CrossFit affected your life outside the Gym?
The biggest change I’ve experienced from joining CrossFit has been self-confidence. Previously, I thought I had to maintain a specific weight in order to be ok with myself and was obsessed with the scale. Now I don’t feel the need to know my weight as I feel good physically and mentally.
What advice would you give someone just starting CF today/ a newbie just joining CrossFit SW Portland?
Take it slow at first and become familiar with the techniques, listen to the coaches, and ask questions even if you’ve previously asked it multiple times. Most importantly, have fun
[Free!] Boot Camp class on Nov 12th.
Did you miss our last Bring a Friend Day? Don’t be discouraged… You still GET 1 more chance!
OUR Last Bring a Friend Day of the YEAR. is next WEEK!
November 12th (Thursday).
You and a friend ARE invited to JOIN us for a FREE workout.
Only a FEW slots left…so RSVP now to hold your SPOT!
Where: CrossFit SW Portland: 1226 SW 16th Portland Or 97205
See you HERE!
Order online by Wednesday at midnight for Monday & Wednesday delivery to the gym.
Order a week of their choice lunches for $50 or select your own from the online store.
Order homemade bone broth for winter.
Free Delivery to the gym.